Hey, guys, I want to share my 2015 Shelby GT350R project process with you and to show how I made it πŸ™‚ . I will show you how I usually start modeling vehicles and all of the process I have done every day working on this project.

SETTING UP THE BLUEPRINT

First of all, like modeling every vehicle, you need to find the Blueprint which looks like this:

blueprint-30577

I used different Blueprint for 2015 Shelby GT350R of course πŸ˜€

So I take the Blueprint and crop it to 4 pieces: front, back, top, side. Then I load those cropped images in Blender as Background images:

03

Here I setup every added image to show up on the given side. For example, if I press Num7 to show top view I only see Top.jpg image (this only works on orthographic view, which you can change by pressing Num5).

Then I change Units system to Metric (it’s very important to keep your model real world scale!):

04

Now I add default Cube to the scene and scale it to real world car size (I just googled for 2015 Shelby GT350R body size). After scaling the cube I check cube, height, and width, to match the blueprint images from all sides. Usually, I need to scale down image size to match that cube size.

06

FINDING GOOD REFERENCE IMAGES

Before I start modeling, I need to find a lot of reference images of 2015 Shelby GT350R. I google it and save a bunch of images of exact 2015 year model from all the sides. It helps me to model exact shapes of the car a lot. Without using reference images, you can’t do it right because the blueprint is not enough.

MODELING

So after finding a bunch of reference images, I start modeling all main body pieces together. I like to start modeling from the hood. So I put a plane, divide it in a half and delete one side. Then add Mirror Modifier, toggle on Clipping:

07

and start extruding piece by piece. Checking every side how it’s lining up with the blueprint and keep going.

Before going to the modeling process, keep in mind that when I modeled it, I was a student and at that time, I was very busy making a game with Unity by myself for the finals πŸ™‚

Day 1 Result:

Day1

I keep it low poly and try to match the blueprint shape as best as possible. Keep in mind that all car parts like hood and front bumper you see on this pic are connected. I made one big mesh (this is my first time modeling car not on separate peaces).

Day 2 – Added: front fender and doors:

Day2

Day 3 – Added: side skirt, back fender and trunk:

Day3

Day 4 – Added: rear bumper, roof, all windows, and some plastics around side windows:

Day_04

Day 5 – Added: front and side bumper plastics, spoiler:

Day_05

Day 6 -Added: rear bumper, rear bumper plastics, mufflers, tail lights, and back plastic:

Day_06

Day 7 – Added: front grill plastics, headlights, and front indicators:

Day_07

Day 8 – Added: wheel and tyre:

Day_08

Day 9 – Added: brake disc and car bottom part:

Day_09

Day 10 – Added: brake calliper:

Day_10

Day 11 – Added: mirror and door handle:

Day_11

Day 12 – Added: subdivision and started to add edge loops to sharpen the edges:

Day_12

Day 13 – Added: more edge loops to sharpen the edges.

Day_13

Day 14 – Finished to sharpen the edges for all of the car body parts.

Day_14

Day 15-16 – Added: more detail, and subdivision for the wheel. UVmapped car body:

Day_15-16

Day 17 – Added: UVmapped all car parts (this is unfinished UVmap):

Day_17

Day 18 – Exported the model and tested UVs by texturing the model using Quixel Suite 2.0 (this is my first time using quixel):

Day_18

Day 19 – Added: license plates, logo emblems and “GT350” logos on the sides of front fenders. Fixed some car Topology:

Day_19

Day 20 – Added: screen wipers and simple interior:

Day_20

Day 21 – Added: seats and steering wheel:

Day_21

TEXTURING

Day 22 – At this point I did all UVs and baked AOmaps and ColorID’s using Blender (car model is on subdivision level 1 at this point):

Day_22_01

Day_22_02

For another couple of days: I exported whole car model as .OBJ and did Texturing using Quixel Suite 2.0 (this is my second time using quixel). Whole car model contains 4k Textures like: Body, Plastics, Lights, and Glass (each has AO, Albedo, and Specular Maps ready to use for Unity 5 PBR Standard Shader). Here is example of Body AO, Albedo and Specular maps:

body_texture_maps

I didn’t post normal maps here because there are just small details for parts like grills, gas cap and etc.

Completed model Renders inside Quixel Suite 2.2.2:

TESTING

After I have done Texturing, I imported and tested Model and Textures inside Unity 5.

shelby_gt350r_unity_01

The screenshot is from Unity 5 engine (This is my first ever car model in any game engine). I know, it needs much more work, but for now, let it be πŸ™‚

RENDERING INSIDE BLENDER

So after testing my model and textures inside Unity, I decided to do Render inside Blender using Cycles. I suck at Cycles, but after a bunch of render tests, I came up with this:

POST-PROCESSING

I used Photoshop CC 2015.5 to do Post-Processing:

And here is the FINAL VERSION with fake bubbles, which some people don’t like. I also prefer previous results without them so you can see more detail of the model πŸ™‚

So all of the progress was made in one month. At the same time, I was working on university finals project.

Thank you all for reading this πŸ™‚

And if you have any questions, feel free to write them down here in the comment section or contact me: justinas@lmhpoly.com

Follow me for more of my work and to see what I’m doing right now:

Pin It on Pinterest