In this tutorial, I will show you step by step how to use baked and realtime Reflection Probes, how to set up them, and how they work. Remember, Reflection Probes are not meant to give physically accurate results, but instead give the impression of reflections in the game world. For performance reasons it is better to use as few probes as possible. also, remember that Realtime probes is much more expensive in performance than baked ones.
By default, highly Specular/Metal materials in your scene will reflect the Skybox, defined by the Reflection Source property of the Environment Lighting Panel. This behaviour can be changed by choosing a different source, or by adding a Reflection Probe to your scene.
Reflection Probes render the world from their position in 3D space and write the results to a Cubemap. Then captured Cubemap will be applied to all objects inside the Bounding Box which uses reflective material (Specular/Metal material).
YOU WILL LEARN
- How to use Reflection Probe in Unity
- How Reflection Probes work
- How to Setup Baked Reflection Probe
- How to Setup Realtime Reflection Probe
- Unity 2017.2
- TutorialProjectFiles – Download it and start watching the video tutorial! You need Unity 2017.1 or newer to import this package!
- Finished Tutorial Scene – You can download finished result of this tutorial. But I want you to watch the tutorial first, and follow my steps to setup reflection probe by yourself. This way you can really learn how it works! (You need Unity 2017.2 or newer to open this project!)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT REFLECTION PROBES
- Reflection Probe
- Using Reflection Probes
- Advanced Reflection Probe Features
- Reflection Probe Performance And Optimization
- Types of Reflection Probes
Thank you for your time, I hope this video tutorial taught you some basics of how to use Reflection Probes in Unity
Feel free to ask me some questions! If you create something awesome using this tutorial, please share it down below in the comments section!
If you want to see more stuff I’m working on, follow me on Twitter: @lmhpoly
You can support me by Subscribing to my YouTube channel, it helps me to create more video content for you guys Video tutorials, Time-lapse videos and more!